- Northern Pacific
- Boston & Maine
- Erie Lackawanna
2021 RailKing SW-8 and SW-9 Diesel Engines Announced
July 20, 2021 - M.T.H. Electric Trains will be releasing several limited-edition releases of the RailKing SW-8 and SW-9 Diesel Engines in a total of four different liveries later this Fall. These unique releases are expected to arrive in December 2021.
EMD's 800-hp SW-8s and 1,200-hp SW-9s both debuted in 1950, marking the next stage in the evolution of one of railroading's longest-lived diesel families. The first SW-class engine, the 600-hp SW1, appeared in 1939, and the SW units remained in the EMD catalog until the 1,000-hp SW-1000 was finally retired in 1986. With the "SW" in the name denoting that the engine was built for switching duties, it never needed the high horsepower ratings of road diesels. They could be paired with cab-less "calf" units in the classic cow and calf configuration if a particular job needed more power.
These boxy little workhorses are available with the exciting Proto-Sound 3.0 system for unprecented value and fun. As switch locomotives, the SWs are perfect for yard duty thanks to their incredible slow-speed performance - performance governed by M.T.H.'s industry-leading Proto-Speed speed control system. No other switchers can creep so slow or uncouple cars from front or rear without additional equipment. If you've got a transformer with a whistle and bell button, you've got the best switcher you can buy today.
Check out each of the schemes in the list on the left.
- Intricately Detailed, Durable ABS Body
- Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
- Metal Chassis
- Metal Handrails and Horn
- Authentic Paint Scheme
- Metal Wheels, Axles and Gears
- (2) Remote-Controlled Proto-Couplers
- Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting
- Directionally Controlled Constant Voltage LED Headlight
- (2) Precision Flywheel-Equipped Motors
- Onboard DCC/DCS Decoder
- Locomotive Speed Control In Scale MPH Increments
- 1:48 Scale Proportions
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures: 12” x 2 1/2” x 3 1/2”
- Operates On O-27 Curves