2018 Freight Car Deco Contest Rules
Dig into your files, archives or library — or your desk drawer — and send us the prototype paint schemes you’ve always wanted to see on a Premier or RailKing freight car.
- Judging Criteria: Entries will be judged on uniqueness and potential appeal to the community of O Gauge model railroaders. We’re looking for prototype paint schemes that your fellow hobbyists will want to own, because they are unusual, interesting, colorful or historically significant — or any other combination of factors that you think makes them appealing.
- Prototype: Entries must be prototype paint schemes from North American (U.S., Canada or Mexico) railroads, car makers, leasing companies or private owners.
- Car type: Prototype should be reasonably close to one of the RailKing or Premier freight cars in our contest list. On your entry form, you’ll be asked to indicate which model most closely matches your paint scheme.
- Previous production: Submissions must be prototypes that have not previously been manufactured as an M.T.H. model. To check whether your car has ever been modeled, click the “PRODUCT LOCATOR” link on our homepage, mthtrains.com, and use the Advanced Search feature, which lists virtually every product we’ve made over the past 38 years.
- Submissions: Submissions may be color or black-and-white photos, period drawings, period artwork, paint diagrams or other prototypically accurate information. We understand that exact color information on older prototypes may be difficult or impossible to come by, so entries without accurate color information are still welcomed. Print documentation and/or period articles may be used to supplement visual documentation.
- Multiple entries: You can enter as many times as you wish, so don’t hold back, and send us all your favorite ideas. Each entry must be submitted separately.
- Duplicate entries: In the event of duplicate submissions, the earliest entry received will count.
- Prizes: The contest will have up to 3 winners, depending on submissions received. Each winner will receive $100 in M.T.H. rolling stock of their choice, plus a copy of their winning car when it is produced.
- How To Enter: Entries may be submitted using digital or hard-copy materials, accompanied by the entry form to the right. The form may be submitted electronically with visual documentation in high-quality jpeg or PDF format, per the instructions on the form. You may also submit a Word document with additional information if you wish.
Alternately, you may print the completed form and submit it with hard-copy images or a CD with photos, by mailing your entry to M.T.H. Electric Trains, ATTN: Freight Car Deco, 7020 Columbia Gateway Drive, Columbia, MD 21046.
All entries will be acknowledged by email within 72 hours of receipt. If you do not receive an acknowledgment, please email us at email@example.com and include “Freight Car Deco” in the subject line.
- Entry Deadline: All entries must be received at M.T.H. by midnight Eastern Time, July 31, 2018. Winners of the Freight Car Deco Contest will be announced by September 30, 2018.
- Employees of M.T.H. are not eligible to participate.
- All Entry Photographs Will Become the Property of M.T.H. and may be used to promote the O gauge hobby in newsletter articles, emails, catalogs, or other media, as well as articles in various model railroad publications. Entrants will be credited whenever their submissions are published.
- Questions about the RailTown Kitbashing Contest may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “RailTown Kitbash” in the subject line.
This is your chance to show us The Cars You’ve Always Thought We Should Make and have them become reality — and have your fellow hobbyists know it was your idea that got them made!
* For a complete list of current production RailTown buildings, view our 2018 Ready-to-Run O Gauge Train Sets & Accessories Catalog online, or request a hard copy at your local M.T.H. retailer.